Back in 1985, James Michener wrote the novel, Texas. Here’s something he had to say about the state: “What you Northerners never appreciate is that Texas is so big that you can live your life within its limits and never give a damn about what anyone in Boston or San Francisco thinks.” Texas is big. The state’s land mass makes up 7.4% of the nation. And now, there’s a new migration movement to Texas. Northerners, Easterners, Southerners, Westerners, and even Midwesterners have been making their way to the Lone Star State to take advantage of all the great things it has to offer. Moving to Texas can be inspired by a number of factors–business, lifestyle, culture, or education. If you’re considering moving to Texas, here are some attractive attributes of this great state:
- Low Cost of Living: Despite so much growth in the last few years, the cost of living in Texas remains truly affordable. According to recent date from the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center, Texas currently ranks as having the 12th lowest cost of living in the 50 states. Home prices help, with the median Texas home price sitting at about $371,500, according to Redfin.
- Not Just Friday Night Lights: If you didn’t know already, football is pretty popular in Texas. From early September through November, stadium lights shine on hometown teams, making for great memories. But there’s more to the athletics culture in Texas than that. Texas is also home to several national sports franchises including the Dallas Cowboys, Houston Astros, Texas Rangers, Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Wings, Dallas Stars, Houston Rockets, Houston Texans, Houston Dynamo FC, Austin FC, FC Dallas, and the San Antonio Spurs. Whether you’re a hockey, football, baseball, basketball, or soccer fan, rooting for your home team makes Texas feel more like, well, home. And if you’re the one that wants to be doing all the athletic activity, Texas boasts more than 900 golf courses and more than 90 state parks to play in.
- Beneficial Tax Policies: Perhaps the most advantageous tax news about Texas is this: there is no state income tax. In addition to that big bonus, Texas offers a variety of tax incentives for businesses relocating or starting up in the state. For example, the Texas Enterprise Zone Program is a state sales and use tax refund program that encourages investment and job creation in economically distressed areas of the state.
- Recreation Abounds: Texas has a huge variety and volume of recreational, educational, and fun things to do all over the state. You can take your aspiring astronauts to the Space Center in Houston or learn some STEM at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. In Texas, the opportunities for state-based staycations are endless. You can take dolphin sightseeing tours in Galveston Bay, spring break on South Padre, stroll the San Antonio River Walk, whisk your loved one away on the Texas Wine Trail, or discover the beauty of Lake Austin.
- More than just cowboy culture: There are still beautiful open prairies in the panhandle and the World Championship Rodeo in Amarillo. But in addition to its storied cowboy culture, Texas has blossomed into a veritable melting pot. An influx of immigration and new residents have helped to make Texas one of the most diverse states in the nation. Fredericksburg is well known for its German heritage, and Bellaire Road in Houston is home to a fantastic collection of international businesses including, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Laotian, Thai, Malaysian, Korean, and Japanese establishments.
- Home to Higher Education: Texas is home to large research universities as well as many midsize schools, and smaller liberal arts colleges. Living close to colleges can have a lot of benefits like a lively community, proximity to nightlife, and affordable housing. One of the greatest higher education opportunities in Texas is about being a Texas resident is: the top 10% rule. Graduates in the top 10% of their high school class may qualify for automatic admission to many public universities in Texas.
- Booming Economy: Texas has historically been an economic powerhouse. Known for its prowess in fields like agriculture and oil and gas, the state has added sectors of manufacturing, technology, and energy to its list of productive industries. In addition to immense economic growth, the population in Texas is full of workforce talent available to established and new businesses.